When I joined for IISc, I didn’t have a second thought. But nowadays people are really confused about IISc and IITB. So, just thought of sharing some information about IISc.
- IISc is the premier research institute in India. So, expect the best faculties here though not everything that glitters is gold.
- Being research intensive, almost every topic being taught is of latest standard. You won’t see outdated contents anywhere in IISc.
- Many exams are for testing the knowledge of students. Last day study hardly works. But this is called learning.
- Though there are not much stats available, placements in IISc CSA dept are the best in India ignoring International placements. But a handful of students do get placed internationally via offcampus.
- IISc profs would happily recommend you for Ph.D. postions abroad and you can get a well funded Ph.D. position.
- IISc campus is one of the best if not the best in India.
- No TA duty and this time can be used for personal skills development
- More freedom for students, can take individual net connection, bring own bike/car etc.
- More stress on practicals at the same time less stress on implementation.
- Most popular on Machine Learning, Theoretical Computer Science, Compilers and Architecture, Databases, Information Retrieval, Game Theory and Programming Languages.
- Not much to say compared to any other Indian Universities. 1-2 profs are not IISc standard and you can easily know this while talking to seniors.
- Being an old Institute politics is there but fortunately CSA dept is pretty clean.
- CSA dept is not doing research in all CS areas and for areas like Distributed and Cloud Computing students have to go to SERC.
5,275 total views, no views today