I have seen lots of questions regarding COACHING. It is something which is currently being injected to the blood of students that without coaching success is not possible. When questions are being asked from a predefined text those who practice them a lot can succeed. But GATE is different. Only with proper knowledge and problem solving skills one can crack GATE. In doing this coaching might help some people but not all. Again coaching alone doesn’t do everything for you to top GATE. Let me tell you some facts.
- Not all GATE toppers took coaching. In fact majority didn’t. See here.
- Many people do clear GATE on first attempt while studying B.Tech. How? Because GATE is based on B.Tech. syllabus. Again see here.
- Can one get a three digit rank in GATE without any preparation? Yes, if you have done B.Tech. using standard texts and have done labs properly. See, one experience.
Advantages of coaching
- Systematic coverage of syllabus: You don’t have to do this yourself.
Disadvantages of coaching
- Not all faculties are good. Many would teach just the easy stuffs but they might nit be enough for GATE. Remember “Let Us C” has good reviews but studying it takes you no where in C.
- See the keys prepared by top coaching institutes and how they differ from GATE keys. So, never believe everything taught in coaching classes.
- Please don’t use any printed GATE material. Otherwise at least be aware of the mistakes in them.
How to prepare without coaching?
- See the GATE syllabus.
- Read the topics from standard sources. See Best_books_for_CSE, Best_video_lectures_for_CSE andBest_Courses_in_Computer_Science.
- If needed use these notes, but don’t neglect making your own notes.
- Solve text book exercises and take care to solve previous year GATE questions from every topic. You can see the questions here. If you have any doubt do ask there.
- Do take a lot of mock tests to get the fear out and to get used to online interface.
Still do I need coaching?
- Yes, if I’m bad in English and not able to follow standard books and lack basics in subjects.
- Yes, if I’m not motivated enough to do a systematic study myself.
Where to do coaching?
- If you are looking just for a systematic study, any coaching would do.
- If it is for clearing the basics, only join the best places even if it means travelling states. It sure makes a difference. I don’t want to promote any coaching centers but you can google for them or ask those who have scored around 100 rank and took coaching.
- Again do it, only if you cannot follow standard materials available for free online.
- Once more, even if you do coaching ensure you are able to solve previous year problems ON YOUR OWN because new questions do come in GATE and problem solving is important.
Video lectures or class room coaching?
- Think yourself, which is better for you.
- Both are quite different even if the same person does it.
- GATE specific video lectures might be easy to follow than course specific ones. But easy materials doesn’t always get you a top rank. Read this review.
- Use all materials for their own purpose. Don’t rely solely on any one.
- Do ensure you solve questions on your own.
- See these tips.
- Also see how some toppers prepared.
- Prepare to get 70+ consistently in mock tests. Aim for top 100 or even AIR 1. Leave no room for luck affecting you.
- Also see this post for another person view about coaching for GATE
If you still need to join coaching read this review by a topper Coaching Reviews
8,861 total views, 4 views today