3,879 total views, 2 views today
GATE CSE provides a collection of materials which gets updated regularly. To make it easy to access we use the following domain names
Contains resources like preparation materials, information about colleges, stats/analysis of previous GATE etc. The site is mostly non-interactive as all interaction happens via gateoverflow. The sub domains under gatecse.in include
- subjects.gatecse.in – Subjectwise resources for GATE CSE – all materials are listed under each subject page
- books.gatecse.in – Best books for GATE CSE
- videos.gatecse.in – Best videos for GATE CSE
- channel.gatecse.in – GO youtube channel with selected playlist for each GATE subject. Playlists can be seen at playlists.gatecse.in
- courses.gatecse.in – Recommended courses for CSE
- md.gatecse.in – Mark distribution in Previous Year GATE CSE
- tests.gatecse.in – A Collection of mock tests for GATE CSE
- exams.gatecse.in – For practicing old GATE/ISRO papers as well as mock tests for GATE
- dates.gatecse.in – Important dates including application deadlines for admissions/jobs for CSE students
- syllabus.gatecse.in – Detailed syllabus for GATE CSE with links to topic pages on gateoverflow
- reviews.gatecse.in – For reviews about Master level colleges for Computer Science & Engineering
- wiki.gatecse.in – Is outdated now. All wiki contents have been moved/copied to gatecse.in
Contains all previous GATE CSE questions from 1991 and IT papers from 2004-2008 and nearly 5000 other questions which gets added daily. For GATE purpose previous GATE/TIFR questions are recommended and there is a mode in Accounts section which hides all other questions. The sub domains include
- book.gateoverflow.in – Collection of gateoverflow questions updated 3-4 times a year
- classroom.gateoverflow.in – For getting coding assignments as per GATE syllabus. You can enroll for the course using your GO username and a new password which is automatically emailed to all GO users
- aptitude.gateoverflow.in – Aptitude Overflow is a collection of aptitude questions useful for GATE, CAT, Placements etc. A PDF version is also available.
- mymarks.gateoverflow.in – GATE score/rank/college predictor app made by Pragy AgarThe scoreScore is predicted after taking a sample of more than 20,000 real marks and applying normalization.
- mockgate.com – Exam Interface of GATE Overflow
- Subject Wise Questions – Subject wise questions from previous gate/others
- Previous Year – Previous year GATE questions, year-wise
- Topic wise questions – Topic wise arranged GATE/other questions
Contains the last rank details of admissions and hence also the top colleges for Masters/Ph.D. for CSE. Sub-domains include
- iisc.gatecselastrank.com – IISc. admissions
- iitb.gatecselastrank.com – IITB admissions
- iitm.gatecselastrank.com – IITM admissions
- iitk.gatecselastrank.com – IITK admissions
- iitd.gatecselastrank.com – IITD admissions
- iitkgp.gatecselastrank.com – IITKgp admissions
- iitg.gatecselastrank.com – IITG admissions
- iith.gatecselastrank.com – IITH admissions
- iitr.gatecselastrank.com – IITR admissions
- iiith-bits.gatecselastrank.com – IIITH and BITS admissions (non GATE)
- foreign.gatecselastrank.com – Admissions to foreign universities for CSE
- cmi-isi.gatecselastrank.com – Admissions to CMI/ISI (for those interested in mathematics)
- ccmt.gatecselastrank.com – CCMT counseling for admission to NITs and other colleges
- others.gatecselastrank.com – State level colleges for GATE CSE
- psu.gatecselastrank.com – PSU admissions for CSE students
26,184 total views, no views today
Usually most students prefer M.Tech. to M.S. in the same University. Reason is mainly the fixed duration of M.Tech. compared to not so fixed duration for M.S.
- M.Tech. is usually 2 years duration and rarely it gets extended.
- M.S. usually takes 3 years, but really good students finish in 2 years.
- M.Tech. students usually need to take about 10 courses while M.S. students need to take about 3 or 4.
- M.S. students need to publish a research paper while this is not so strict for M.Tech. students.
- Many of the M.Tech. courses are fixed and a student is forced to take courses from different areas while for M.S. all courses can be only from his area of interest.
- There is almost no difference for placements for M.S or M.Tech., the only problem being the course ending time. Many M.S. students prefer to attend placements in 3rd year to be safe.
- Good students doing M.S can get better recommendation from Prof for Ph.D. or research jobs.
In short, if you are not sure prefer M.Tech. If you are really into a research area prefer M.S. Opportunity wise not much difference. I would always prefer an M.S. from an IIT/IISc compared to M.Tech. in top NITs even if its risking 1 extra year. Many people do the other way. Environment is so different between the two. NITs are just a better state level govt. college but top NITs do have placements comparable to IITs. Still study environment differs a lot and in IITs one does more useful stuffs in 2 years which makes a better professional.
Research is different from course oriented M.Tech. In most places we have M.Tech. (TA) where TA is for Teaching Assistant-ship and you are paid for helping conduct bachelors courses (like evaluating papers) or managing the labs. In M.Tech. (RA) you are supposed to aid in some research and this might have to do with running some experiments, coding something etc. Pure Masters research would be like a starting to Ph.D. and you will be just focusing on a select subject and finding and solving a problem which has importance in the area.
10,001 total views, 1 views today
If you are getting a good IIT, no need to read this. Otherwise, please analyze your situation.
- Can I do better?
- Did something went wrong for me during GATE?
If your answer is yes, do consider giving a second chance. Start from analyzing your GATE exam. mark down the topics you couldn’t answer. Fix those topics properly. There are students who have gone from 10,000 to 100 and there are students who have gone from 1000 to 3000. So, simply don’t repeat. Analyze and then repeat.
Are you good in academics? If so do consider a direct Ph.D. or MS Research in IITs. Even good IITs/IISc. starve for good research candidates and so mostly GATE rank won’t be an issue here. IITM usually calls around 1500 GATE rank and some new IITs go beyond and some even consider good academic profile and just a valid GATE score. You can see respective IIT tabs here.
Is there any other exams to try?
- For Application Deadlines
- Yes, go for IIITH which is equally good as old IITs.
- BITS is not far behind so are IIITB, IIITD etc.
- For those who want specialized areas, TIFR, CMI (both Theoretical Computer Science), ISI (Statistics) are also good.
- If you are academically strong do consider MS or even direct Ph.D. abroad. A 9 pointer might fail in GATE, but he/she might get preference while applying abroad. While applying to foreign places do consider making a Latex Resume and CV. Though small this might create a good impression.
- Some other national level colleges are also there like IIST for Machine Learning.
- Try for PSU jobs which have their own exams like SAIL. More info on “PSU” tab here.
- If you are fed up with studies (I don’t know why you want to do M.Tech. then) then consider joining any other institute. Many of them have their own tests as well as consider GATE. You can see “Others” tab here.
Joining a State level college
- Highly discouraged, unless you find a worthy faculty to work under because the overall environment won’t be that good.
- Those who have done M.Tech. from decent NITs have scored 2 digit ranks in GATE and then went to PSUs.
- Doing really good in M.Tech. (like being University topper) in a state university, can get you INSPIRE scholarship and a Ph.D. admit almost anywhere in India. But scope of an average performer is pretty bad.
9,901 total views, no views today
Many of you are concerned of going abroad for studies. My take is that if you are interested in studies you should- unless you have a good GATE rank and can go to IITs or similar Institutes. Some points to be noted:
- Those who does Masters in Europe gets preference for Internships/Jobs and Ph.D. positions in Europe.
- Job opportunities in Europe are very less compared to US but research internships and Ph.D. are paid better.
- If you pick any decent foreign University, it’ll be better than any Indian Institute except those of national importance.
- See Foreign Universities tab here for some good foreign Universities in Europe and scholarship information.
- Most US universities require GRE and this can be cleared with 1-2 months preparation at max.
- If not GRE most English-speaking Universities require TOEFL but it is much easier than even GRE. If you can understand the news in an English newspaper you can clear it easily.
13,564 total views, no views today
|Index||Institute||Program||Last Rank||Comments||Future Scope|
|1||IISc Bangalore. Best research institute in India. Inter-departmental courses are allowed here. Since, bachelors are not there in Engineering, Masters students are not required to do any teaching assistantship. But they get stipend from MHRD.||M.Tech. TA in CSA dept.(2 years)||50-80(60 seats)||CSA is the Computer Science dept. of IISc||Best for pursuing higher studies abroad. The on campus placement facilities weren’t great but most students get the best placements both through on campus as well as off campus hiring. MS, IBM-IRL, etc comes for on campus and FB, Google etc usually recruits through off campus.|
|M.Tech. in SSA|
|M Tech in CDS||Gate cutoff around 600 rank for interviews.||CDS (formerly SERC) dept is working on supercomputing area. Mathematical skills are required for parallel programming courses. More info|
|M.Tech RA in CSA dept.||Gate cutoff around 700 rank for interviews(15-20 seats)||M.Tech. RA (formerly MSc) is more into research. While TA students have to take 10 courses, RA students need only 3 courses but they have a strict publication requirement. Most students take 2-3 years to complete|
|M.Tech. in DESE dept||Gate cutoff around 1000 for interviews||Mostly taken by Electronic students, but due to the presence of microcontrollers, some CS students also prefer this|
|2||IITB||M Tech in CSE (2 years TA)||100|
|M Tech in CSE (3 years RA)||Gate cutoff around 1000 for interviews|
|IITK||M tech in CSE (2 Years)||70 seats Direct admission – under 100 rank, Upto rank 400 for Written and interview for general category|
|IITM||M tech in CSE (2 Years)||150-170(54 seats)||Good placement.|
|MS||20 seats (2-3 years)|
|IITD||MTech||56 seats, direct admission last rank around 100. After interview last rank was around 220|
|MS||Prefer Experience candidates (same for research position in other IITs, profs prefer experience in relevant area)|
|IITKgp||M.Tech in CSE||40 seats. Last rank around 180||Option to convert to PhD as in other IITs/ IISc||100% placements in 2011,12,13 (data unavailable for 2014). Alumni now at Google, FB, MS, MSR, Amazon, Epic, Walmart Labs, SAP.Scope for PhD too. Admits to Purdue, UIUC, MPI-SWS, Aarhus , state universities of USA etc .More info|
|M.S in CSE||Strong areas: Cryptography, Number Theory, Complex Networks, Formal Methods, ML (NLP in particular), Theoretical Distributed Systems (Prof. A Gupta), Computer Graphics, S/W Engg, Real Time systems ( Prof Rajib Mall )||Mostly PhD. Admits to Oxford, UIUC etc.There have been students placed in Amazon etc too.If you want to do MS in KGP CS , this blog post will help you :|
|M.Tech in Embedded System Design||New course, well suited for embedded systems area. Admits ECE, EEE, CSE graduates.|
|3.||IITH||Regular M tech and M Tech (RA) available Good placement|
|5.||IIIT-D||On the Basis of gate score now.||Good college, faculty is good, A dynamic director . Placement is ok , it will good in future||Here is the blog from the Director , please go through it, you will Learn many things related to academics →More Info|
|12||IIIT-H||Own Entrance test||good in research. Faculty is good. Placement too.||a good groupexists in FB with IIITH seniors and their experience :|
|13||IIIT-B||own entrance test||good college in placement and teachingInterview experience|
|MS in CS and ECE||for industry candidates and experience ones|
|14||NIT-K Surathkal||good for placement.|
|15||NIT-Trichy||good for placement.|
|18||IIIT-Allahabad||Through Central Counselling of NIT’s||Interview experience||Placement track record of the institute is disastrous so if you are coming for job…IIITA will be a bad option . …. the R&D activities in IIIT-A is too good….the number of journals which gets published every year is strikingly high . Good hope from the next session placement as of TPO changed|
|–||IIST||MSc in Machine Learning||Institute of ISRO|
|19||NITC||good for academics and placement.|
|20||BITS Pilani||M.E,C.S & M.E Software.Systems||Admission throughBITSAT||Good faculty along with good placement.|
|21||BITS Goa||M.E Software Systems||Admission throughBITSAT|
|22||BITS Hyderabad||M.E C.S||Admission throughBITSAT||placement is ok|
|23||ISI KOLKATA||accept Gate score with cut off,those not having Gate score for them conduct own exam and interview||Areas where professors working :Computational Intelligence. Soft computing techniques, data mining,cryptography ,machine learning, complexity theory , computer vision etc areas related to mathematics.||More Info|
|24||VIT||VIT Entrance Test||All money made stuffs done here . Do not believe in their Rankings in reputed newspapers|
|24||IIITMK||MSc IT||It is run by Kerala govt but fee is 50k per semester. Research facilities are very good here. Scholarships are available for SC/ST.||Good guys can expect good research opportunities as many faculties are extremely good. But if you are not keen in research, job opportunities might not be great. (only IT jobs)|
|–||Other NITs||MTech||Centralized counselling for all NITs.See here for last rank details in 2013 for round 2. Totally 4 rounds are there.|
|The below colleges are reputed but not from a MTech point of view. Those who are good can get decent placements. Here for placements mainly Service based companies come. If you are extremely bright you can expect a good placement in a product company.|
|26||CET Trivandrum||M Tech (2 years)||around 3000||Govt college with 8k scholarship||This is the best college in Kerala after NIT-C. Placements here are just below that of NITs. Though research or teaching isn’t great, due to the high talent students Amazon, MS etc usually come for placements but they select only the top guys.|
|28||ITER(SOA University)||provide M Tech in CSE, CSDP and CSIT ,three sections in school of Computer science.||60 seats. own exam +Gate score||Gate score holders get,5,000 from 2nd year of their M Tech.||They are good in academics in Orissa, trying to improve.|
|32||VSSUT Burla||Good college in Orissa for academics.|
|33||NITIE||PGDIE, PGDMM, PGDPM||GATE Score + Interview||Management degree through Gate score||Average Package (2012): 11.83 Lakhs per annum .ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL HAS BEEN PUT ON THEWEBSITE For complete details about the Institution and Programs offered, please referAdmission Brochure-2014 More Info|
|34||IIT-BHU||Systems Science under Electrical department.|
|35||Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad|
|36||Jadavpur University||Number one Engineering college in WB. Talented students join here because of High Competition ( for B tech mainly ).|
|37||IIEST Shibpur||Good student , good faculty. Now as being IIEST, they,will improve their research quality.|
|38||DAIICT||Good for ICT course|
|39||VNIT Nagpur||Good in Academics|
|40||HCU ( University of Hyderabad )||Good in Academics. , some,professors also doing research here.|
96,308 total views, 1 views today
4,449 total views, no views today